Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is one of my favorite desserts. I actually love anything strawberry rhubarb and in the spring when they are both in season, I usually make a big batch of compote or jam (basically the filling part of the crisp) and keep it in my fridge. It is delicious on yogurt, ice cream, toast….anything.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Old-Fashioned Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp with a brown sugar oat topping and slightly sweet, tangy filling. Serve with vanilla ice cream for a delicious spring treat!
- 672 g (1.5 pounds) rhubarb stalks sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 200 g sugar
- 448 g (1 pound) strawberries hulled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 112 g (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 224 g light brown sugar can sub raw coconut sugar
- 130 g 1:1 gluten-free flour
- 85 g quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoons cardamom (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350°.
In a bowl, toss the rhubarb with 125g of the sugar and let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. In another bowl, toss the strawberries with the remaining 75g sugar and let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Using a slotted spoon, add the rhubarb to the strawberries; save any rhubarb/sugar juice and use for making drinks or discard it.*
Add the cornstarch, and vanilla to the fruit and stir well. Transfer the mixture to a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, mix the ingredients together until large crumbs form. I like to squeeze it together to form some larger clumps mixed in with the crumbs.
Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling and bake for 40 minutes, until the fruit filling is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Let the crisp rest for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- The amount of rhubarb liquid you have will depend on the size of your rhubarb, smaller younger rhubarb won't weep as much. The longer you let the rhubarb sit the more juice will come out of it and the firmer your crisp will be so you can adjust the time to your liking.
- For a nice twist, you can add some orange zest or a splash of Grand Mariner to your filling.