Chickpea Vegetable Coconut Curry
This recipe is easy and super delicious. Packed with flavor and nutrition it is the perfect meatless monday dinner. My son loves it over cilanro lime rice or with a piece of warm crusty bread.
You can customize this rcipe by swapping out different veggies (see recipe notes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil can use avocado or coconut
- 1 red bell pepper large dice
- 1 cup carrots large dice (approx 3 carrots)
- 2 russet or yukon gold potatoes large dice
- 2 sweet potatoes large dice
- 1 medium Zucchini large dice
- 2 garlic large ,cloves minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh or frozen ginger
- 1 tbsp curry power
- 2 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 15 oz can chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 15 oz lite coconut milk 1 can
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, carrots and potatoes and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until starting to soften and brown, about 5 minutes.
Add, zucchini, garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the sauce, stock and chickpeas and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 18 to 20 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Thin with a little hot water if needed. Sprinkle the stew with the parsley and serve with warm bread or over your favorite grain.
- Swap yellow squash or eggplant for the zucchini
- Swap butternut squash or pumpkin for the sweet potatoes
- Double the beans for more protein
- Add cauliflower or swap cauliflower for potatoes for less starch
- Add red pepper flake or your favorite hot pepper for spice
- Use full fat coconut milk for a creamier texture